This is the fourth of 5 podcasts in a learning experience (learn more and subscribe) focusing on using elements of the Working Out Loud process, positive psychology, behavioral science and more to build social support networks to improve our resilience.
This episode focuses on visible work: sharing what is on our mind as we work and live opens ourselves up to possibilities we couldn’t have planned for by allowing others to connect with and adjust to us.
Special thanks to Derek Sivers for allowing us to share his words from “Obvious to you. Amazing to others.”
1 Thing for This Week
This week, we are practicing visible work by planning 10 opportunities to share our work.
Ten Types of Contributions
- Share your research
- Share your ideas
- Share your projects
- Share your process
- Share your motivations, why you did what you did
- Share your challenges
- Share something you’ve learned
- Share the work of others you admire
- Share your connections
- Share content from your network
- Go through the list of 10 types of contributions above and write down:
- a specific contribution that you could make
- who you would want to share that contribution with
- why you think they would be interested in that small gift
These contributions could be very simple. If you have done research for yourself on child care providers or new computers, you might think about sharing what you found with someone on your relationship list. What’s your process for making a shopping list or managing your family calendar? Those are potential contributions.
Remember we are practicing generosity, so we are not looking only for contributions that will impress people or help us “get ahead” somehow. We are not trying to figure out the contributions that will get us the most likes or retweets. We are just offering small gifts in the spirit of generosity.
Here are the resources we mentioned in the podcast this week.
- “Obvious to you. Amazing to others.” by Derek Sivers
- “The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks & Win Your Inner Creative Battles” by Steven Pressfield
- “Mindfulness & Character Strengths” by Ryan Niemiec
- “Community: The Structure of Belonging” by Peter Block
- “Working Out Loud” by John Stepper
Share Your Experience
We want to hear from you, and for you to hear from others who are sharing this learning experience, so we have created several spaces for you to discuss and reflect on this experience, and to share your progress.
- #wolresilience – use this hashtag on Twitter or Instagram to join the conversation.
- 612-524-9965 – call or text us at this number. If you leave a voicemail about your experience, we may share it on a future podcast.
- email@example.com – email us with your questions about and insights into this learning experience.
- Anchor – listen to our special content on Anchor.fm and use the Anchor app to leave an audio message.