This is the first of 5 podcasts in a learning experience (learn more and subscribe) focusing on using elements of the Working Out Loud process, positive psychology, behavioral science and more to build social support networks to improve our resilience.
This episode focuses on purposeful discovery. If you live for learning new things, asking questions or following your curiosities, you will love this element of Working Out Loud. If being curious isn’t your greatest strength, then we hope you use this element as an opportunity for growth.
1 Thing for This Week
Each week, we’ll suggest one activity to help you begin building your networks for resilience. This week we want you to start to look for purpose.
- Think about something that is meaningful to you. The questions below might help. Choose one question and try find answers that are not related to your societal or organizational roles (dad, grandmother, employee, etc.)
- What lights you up?
- What do you care most about?
- What are you an advocate for?
- Based on you reflections, create a list of 3 -5 things you’d like to explore
- Choose one thing you’d really like to explore and start doing a little exploring.
- Share your experience with us on social media using #wolresilience or by leaving an audio comment on our “Purposeful Discovery” post on Anchor.fm
Here are the resources we mentioned in the podcast this week.
- Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
- Asset-based Community Development (PDF)
- Designing Your Life by Bill Burnett and Dave Evans
- Gretchen Rubin, author of The Happiness Project
- You at Your Best, a visualization activity from positive psychology. Think about how this activity might help you find your purpose(s).
Share Your Experience
We want to hear from you, and for you to hear from others who are sharing this learning experience, so we have created several spaces for you to discuss and reflect on this experience, and to share your progress.
- #wolresilience – use this hashtag on Twitter or Instagram to join the conversation.
- 612-524-9965 – call or text us at this number. If you leave a voicemail about your experience, we may share it on a future podcast.
- email@example.com – email us with your questions about and insights into this learning experience.
- Anchor – listen to our special content on Anchor.fm and use the Anchor app to leave an audio message.
- Our theme is “Something Elated” by Broke for Free CC BY 3.0
- Break 1: “Silverdirt” by J1* CC BY 3.0
- Break 2: “I Dunno (Grapes of Wrath Mix)” by spinningmerkaba CC BY 3.0
- Break 3: “Modulation of the Spirit” by Little Glass Men CC BY 3.0
- Break 4: “Watching From Red Hill” by Art of Escapism CC BY-SA 3.0
Cover photo by art-inthecity – CC BY 2.0, https://www.flickr.com/photos/art_inthecity/14223980942/