Family Development aims to provide professional development opportunities, online resources and information to support professionals working with military families.
We recognize that while military families may have similar needs as civilian families, they also face unique situations that can positively and negatively impact family life. Our focus connects largely to early intervention, family strengthening, family violence prevention and treatment and has targeted individuals in the mental health, family advocacy, and education fields.
Family Development (FD) Team
Family Development PI/Project Director
Dept. of Psychology, Counseling, & Family Therapy
Valdosta State University
Kacy Mixon, PhD, LMFT is an Assistant Professor in the Psychology, Counseling & Family Therapy Department at Valdosta State University and Project Director for the Military Families Learning Network Family Development team. As a licensed marriage and family therapist, Kacy has worked with families from all walks of life. Her trainings, presentations and courses, however, focus primarily on family violence, trauma and moral injury, military families, and foster-care transitions.
- Family Finances Series: Separation & Single Parenting in the Military
- Retirement Ready? Effective Strategies for Military Families Part 1 & Part 2 (2016)
- What the Tech?: Thinking about Technology & Parenting (2016)
- The Ripple Effect: Trauma Informed Intervention with Abusers (2015 VLE Session 1)
- What is Trauma & Why must We Address it? Part 2 (2014)
- 1500 N. Patterson Street Valdosta, GA 31698