- This event has passed.
Coming Together with Sesame Street: Resources for Racial Justice
Tue July 27th: 11:00 am-12:30 pm EDTFree
About This Webinar:
All kids need a strong individual and group identity, but racism hurts the healthy development of both. Racism hurts our entire society. Whether you and the children in your care are directly affected by racism or you’re allies of those who are, engaging honestly and directly with little ones is the beginning of building racial literacy (the skills needed to talk thoughtfully about race and to identify and respond to racism).
Learn about new resources from your friends at Sesame Street to develop children’s understanding, curiosity, resilience, and empathy—and to prepare for the task of building a better world by standing up, standing tall, and standing together.
By the end of this webinar presentation, attendees will be able to:
- Discuss communication strategies and concepts connected to racial literacy
- Navigate Sesame resources connected to Racial Justice
- Create and curate learning opportunities to share with children, caregivers, and providers!
Antonio Freitas is a Senior Content Manager with the Sesame Workshop. Here, he works to build content for Sesame Street in Communities and Sesame Street for Military Families, and professionally trains parents and providers on ways to implement these resources in their work with children. Antonio has worked to create, implement, and refine professional development programs for Early Childhood educators at national, city, and organizational levels for over 15 years.
Continuing Education (CE) Credit
Click the button below for CE credit
You will be prompted to complete an evaluation after which a link will be provided.
MFLN Family Development and Family Transitions has applied and received confirmation for the following Continuing Education (CE) credits:
- Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists: Programming approval for 1.5 CE credits has been obtained for Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists from the UT Austin Steve Hicks School of Social Work. **Note: Eligibility for CE credit expires on July 27, 2023.
- Certified Family Life Educators (CFLEs): This webinar will offer 1.5 Contact Hours from the National Council on Family Relations to CFLE’s.
- Case Managers: This program was submitted to the Commission for Case Manager Certification and was granted approval to provide board-certified case managers 1.5 clock hours. **Note: Eligibility for CE credit expires on July 27, 2022.
- Certificates of completion will also be available for providers interested in documenting their training activities.
Please revisit this page after the live webinar for updated information on the above CE credits. For questions about continuing education opportunities, email MFLN FD at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Webinar Slides | PDF Handout
- Tools for Military Families to Explain Racism to Children and Raise Upstanders | Racial Justice Resources for Military Families Website
- Sesame Street: Coming Together | Website
- Raising an Upstander | Article
- Activities featured in the webinar session:
- Sesame Street webinar Helping Parents Talk About—and Stand Up Against—Racism
- Beautiful Me printable activity! Try it with your family, or invite families you support to create a portrait using this printable.
- Webinar Flyer | PDF