- This event has passed.
Financial Preparedness is Disaster Preparedness
Wed February 10th: 11:00 am-12:30 pm EST
About this Webinar:
Financial preparedness is an important part of disaster readiness. When disasters occur, an emergency savings fund can be one of the primary resources to handle natural disasters and jumpstart recovery.
In this webinar, we discuss specific actions that individuals and families can take to become financially prepared for any emergency or disaster situation. In addition, tools, strategies, and resources are shared that can be used with service members and families. Personal finance managers (PFMs) and Extension educators will find this webinar most helpful as they work locally with military families.
Through this webinar, participants will:
- Understand the potential financial implications of disasters.
- Become familiar with current research and literature related to disaster financial preparedness.
- Identify specific actions that individuals and families can take to become financially prepared for any emergency or disaster situation.
- Discover tools, strategies, and resources that can be used with service members and families to become financially prepared for a disaster.
Sara Croymans joined the University of Minnesota Extension as an Extension educator in 1992 where she is committed to assisting individuals to develop critical life skills. She works with youth, adults, educators, and community agency staff on a variety of issues, including youth and money, decision-making, tenant education, learning styles, disaster financial recovery, and military family transitions. As an Accredited Financial Counselor through the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education, Sara has extensive financial counseling experience with gamblers, as well as military service members and their families. Sara earned a master’s degree in education from the University of Minnesota. Sara is a proud military spouse and mother. She serves as the PI for the Military Families Learning Network Family Transitions Team.
Joseph Digby is a FEMA Emergency Management Specialist and the interim program lead for Financial Resilience at the Individual and Community Preparedness Division. His programs focus on giving individuals the tools and resources to become able to financially withstand and recovery effectively from disasters.
Continuing Education (CE) Credit
Click the button below for CE credit
- 1.5 CE credits from the National Council on Family Relations for Certified Family Life Educators (CFLE)
- 1.5 CE credits from the Association for Financial Counseling & Planning Education (AFCPE)
- 1.5 CE credits from the Center for Financial Certifications (FinCert).
- This webinar will also offer a certificate of completion.
You will be prompted to complete an evaluation after which a link will be provided.