- This event has passed.
Healthy Moms, Happy Babies II: Virtually Supporting Parents Experiencing Domestic Abuse
Wed October 7, 2020: 11:00 am-12:30 pm EDTFree
About this Webinar:
Given the COVID-19 pandemic and the shift to virtual home visitation, we recognize that it is very difficult for New Parent Support Program staff to determine client safety, maintain confidentiality, and promote healthy parenting and relationships. The lack of privacy for conversations and heightened isolation makes it difficult to assess the home environment and figure out if coercion and abuse are happening to a client.
During this training, we review promising practices for home visitors within a virtual space. Reviewing how power and control issues may look different within the ‘shelter in place’ situation and how this might prevent clients from being able to disclose abuse or reach out for help. Talking about healthy and unhealthy relationships and how to help friends and family is a strategy that builds stronger client relationships and allows victims to hear about resources and ways to promote safety without disclosing domestic abuse. The intervention strategies we share are adapted for virtual home visitation.
- Understand evolving practices around virtual home visitation and domestic violence (DV)
- Learn CUES (Confidentiality, Universal Education + Empowerment, and Support), a trauma-informed evidenced-based intervention, to address domestic violence, adapted for virtual clinical visits.
- Learn about virtual safer planning strategies during heightened isolation and advocacy resources
Rebecca Levenson, M.A., is a former Senior Policy Analyst and now a consultant for FUTURES Without Violence. A nationally-recognized researcher, educator, advocate, and speaker, on domestic violence she has worked extensively within primary care, adolescent, reproductive and perinatal health within federal and state programs, community clinics, FQHCs (Federally Qualified Health Centers), and home visitation programs for the past 22 years.
She is the architect for FUTURES evidence-based intervention called CUES—which calls into question the limitations of disclosure-driven practices for screening for domestic violence highlighting the power of relationship building through universal education and altruism. Ms. Levenson is the co-author of numerous publications and domestic violence training resources, including FUTURES Healthy Moms/Happy Babies curricula on how to address domestic violence for home visitation programs.
Continuing Education (CE) Credit
Click the button below for CE credit
You will be prompted to complete an evaluation after which a link will be provided.
- Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists: Programming approval for CE credit has been obtained for Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist from the UT Austin Steve Hicks School of Social Work.
- Certified Family Life Educators (CFLEs): This webinar offers Contact Hours from the National Council on Family Relations to CFLE’s.
- Case Managers: This program has been approved by the Commission for Case Manager Certification to provide board-certified case managers with clock hours.
- Certificates of completion are available for providers interested in documenting their training activities.
- Webinar Slides | Printable PDF
- Webinar Resources and Links | PDF
- FUTURES Without Violence: Home Visitation Virtual CUES to Support Survivors| PDF
- FUTURES Without Violence: Additional Home Visitation Support Texts COVID-19| PDF
- Webinar Flyer | PDF
This webinar is Part 2 of 2 webinars on Healthy Moms, Happy Babies Curriculum! Watch the archived recording of Part 1, “Healthy Moms, Happy Babies I: Supporting Staff to Help Families Remotely,” on the event page here!
Photo by Ketut Subiyanto from Pexels