- This event has passed.
Keep Calm & Carry On: Working with Difficult Clients
Wed May 20th: 11:00 am-12:00 pm EDTFree
About This Webinar:
When we work with people, we will inevitably meet a difficult or challenging person. Even though it is natural for individuals going through adversity to become difficult/challenging, it is imperative to meet the person’s emotional state with compassion and empathy. In this webinar, we explore techniques of de-escalation, communication, and expressions to understand and address people we feel are problematic.
- Enhance de-escalation skills through verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Differentiate between sympathy and empathy in response to difficult people.
- Develop skills to reconnect with a person after a disruptive moment.
Jeffrey Hanna, DSW, LCSW, ACSW
Teaching Assistant Professor
School of Social Work
West Virginia University
Dr. Hanna is a graduate of the Doctor of Social Work program at Rutgers University School of Social Work New Brunswick, NJ. He also received his MSW from Rutgers University in Camden, NJ. Since 2009, Dr. Hanna worked in clinical behavioral health for adolescents, adults, and geriatrics. For the past eight years, he ran a successful private practice, was part of the NASW ethics committee, and presented on understanding the impact of masculine stigma on clinical practice. His doctoral concentration was on how to help men break through barriers associated with masculinity to increase successful therapeutic interventions.
Continuing Education (CE) Credit
Click the button below for CE credit
You will be prompted to complete an evaluation after which a link will be provided.
- Social Work, LPC, LMFT: Programming approval for 1.0 CE credits will be obtained for Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage & Family Therapists from the University of Texas at Austin, Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Check with your state licensing agency for reciprocity and/or credit approval if licensed for other professions or in one of the following states: CO, FL, HI, IA, KS, KY, MI, NY, ND, OH, OK
- Case Manager: This program has been submitted to the Commission for Case Manager Certification for approval to provide board certified case managers with 1.0 clock hours.
- Board Certified Patient Advocates: This program has been pre-approved by The Patient Advocate Certification Board to provide continuing education credit to Board Certified Patient Advocates (BCPA). The course has been approved for a total of 1.0 CE contact hour, of which 0.0 are in the area of Ethics.
- Certified Family Life Educators (CFLE): This program has been approved by the National Council on Family Relations (NCFR) for 1.0 CE credit for CFLE.
- Certificates of completion are available for providers interested in documenting their training activities.
- For a complete list of Military Caregiving courses for CE credit go to: Military Families