- This event has passed.
TRICARE Benefits in 2020 & Beyond
Wed January 29, 2020: 11:00 am-12:00 pm ESTFree
About This Webinar:
This webinar kicks off the New Year with updates from the Defense Health Agency (DHA) on TRICARE in 2020 and its impact on beneficiaries.
TRICARE is the health care program for uniformed services members, retirees, and their families around the world. TRICARE provides coverage to all beneficiaries, including: health plans, special programs, prescriptions, and dental plans.
In this event, the presenter provides program updates for military helping professionals, with specific focus on purchased care benefits and improvements to the next generation of TRICARE managed care support contracts (T-5) which may include a variety of health plan options for TRICARE beneficiaries.
- Describe the changes occurring in the Military Health System (MHS) and how they impact beneficiaries.
- Identify changes to the purchased care benefit in 2020.
- Discuss improvements in the next set of TRICARE Contracts (T-5).
Edward D. Simmer, M.D., M.P.H.
Captain, Medical Corps, United States Navy
Chief Clinical Officer, TRICARE Health Plan, DHA
Captain Edward Simmer currently serves as the Chief Clinical Officer for the TRICARE Health Plan at the Defense Health Agency in Falls Church, VA. In this role he is responsible for overseeing all clinical aspects of the civilian medical and dental care provided to the 9.4 million beneficiaries of the Military Health System. He has a M.D. degree from Saint Louis University and completed his Psychiatry Residency at Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth. He is Board Certified in General and Forensic Psychiatry.
Captain Simmer has served 27 years of active duty in the Navy, with duties including Commanding Officer of Naval Hospital Oak Harbor, Executive Officer Naval Hospital Beaufort, Senior Executive Director of Psychological Health at the Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and TBI, and Director for Quality at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth. He served as the General Medical Officer on the U.S.S. Enterprise (CVN-65), and Division Psychiatrist for 2d Marine Division. He has also deployed to Iraq with the 113th Combat Stress Control Company and served as Head of the Navy’s Special Psychiatric Rapid Intervention Team (SPRINT) for nine years, leading responses to numerous traumatic incidents, including Hurricanes Ivan and Katrina and the U.S.S. Cole (DDG-67) bombing.
Continuing Education (CE) Credit
Click the button below for CE credit
You will be prompted to complete an evaluation after which a link will be provided.
- Social Work, LPC, LMFT: Programming approval for 1.0 CE credits will be obtained for Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage & Family Therapists from the University of Texas at Austin, Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Check with your state licensing agency for reciprocity and/or credit approval if licensed for other professions or in one of the following states: CO, FL, HI, IA, KS, KY, MI, NY, ND, OH, OK
- Case Manager: This program has been submitted to the Commission for Case Manager Certification for approval to provide board certified case managers with 1.0 clock hours.
- Certificates of completion are available for providers interested in documenting their training activities.
- For a complete list of our Military Caregiving courses for CE credit go to: Military Families