- This event has passed.
Special Education: Connecting to the TEAM in the IEP Process
Wed August 28, 2019: 11:00 am-12:00 pm EDTFree
About this Webinar
You succeeded at learning new terminology, acronyms and a process when you joined the military! Getting supports and services for your child with a learning difficulty or disability through an Individualized Education Program (IEP) or Section 504 accommodations is no different. There is a process that must be followed and new terminology to learn.
Understand your family’s (and child’s) role and responsibilities within the IEP or 504 process, realize the difference between 504 accommodations and an IEP, learn how to gain services based on your child’s needs and the related timelines, and explore the topics discussed at an IEP or 504 meeting. Empower yourself with knowledge you can use wherever you are located in the U.S. and gain the skills needed to participate more fully in your child’s education.
- Learn the purpose of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA) and Section 504 and the difference between the two, as well as the different rights parents have under each.
- Understand how to effectively request support for your child and the timeline involved for completing an initial evaluation in order for services to begin under IDEA.
- Learn about the comparable services provision in IDEA and how your family can use this effectively when relocating from base to base.
- Understand the importance of the Procedural Safeguards within the IEP process.
Mary Jane Williams
Family to Family Network
Mary Jane Williams is Executive Director of Family to Family Network, a Houston area organization committed to making a difference in the lives of children with disabilities. She has supported the creation of the Texas Project FIRST website (www.texasprojectfirst.org), a collaborative project of Family to Family Network, Region 9 Education Service Center, and the Texas Education Agency dedicated to providing accurate and consistent information on the special education process. Mary Jane currently represents families on several TEA committees, serves on the advisory committees of The Harris Center for Mental Health & IDD, as well as The Eleanor & Charles Garrett Center on Transition & Disability at Sam Houston State University. Mary Jane believes that children’s futures should not be dictated by a disability label and that family knowledge is the key to ensuring successful outcomes for their children. Her wealth of knowledge on disability issues comes from supporting her children with disabilities become successful adults.
Continuing Education (CE) Credit
Click the button below for CE credit or a certificate of completion.
You will be prompted to complete an evaluation after which a link will be provided.
- Social Work, LPC, LMFT: Programming approval for 1.0 CE credit will be obtained for Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage & Family Therapists from the University of Texas at Austin, Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Check with your state licensing agency for reciprocity and/or credit approval if licensed for other professions or in one of the following states: CO, FL, HI, IA, KS, KY, MI, NY, ND, OH, OK. **Note: Eligibility for CE credit expires on August 28, 2021.
- Case Manager: This program has been submitted to the Commission for Case Manager Certification for approval to provide board certified case managers with 1.0 clock hour. **Note: Eligibility for CE credit expires on August 28, 2020.
- Early Intervention:
- This webinar offers 1.0 early intervention CE credit through the Early Intervention Training Program (EITP) at the University of Illinois for providers in Illinois. To learn more about EITP, go to https://eitp.education.illinois.edu
- The following states have agreed to recognize the early intervention continuing education credits we supply: Georgia, North Carolina, Texas, and service coordinators in Washington.
- Certificates of completion are available for providers interested in documenting their training activities.
- For a complete list of Military Caregiving courses for CE credit go to: Military Families
Download webinar resources.