What Helping Professionals Need to Know About Kincare
November 13 at 11:00 am-12:00 pm ESTFree
About this Webinar
Across the United States, family members are providing homes and care for children whose parents cannot care for them. These kincare arrangements include all children who receive care from grandparents, siblings, aunts and uncles, cousins and close family members (sometimes not family at all) for a period of time. Informal kinship caregivers offer love and stability to these children through their role but many have limited resources and struggle to assume the “burden” of playing a primary parenting role. This session will explore the issue of kincare as well as identify risk and protective factors for both the caregivers and the children. It will also examine resources to support kincare families.
- Define kincare and describe it as an emerging trend.
- Identify risk and protective factors for the caregiver.
- Identify risk and protective factors for the child(ren).
- Examine resources to support kincare families.
Extension Program Specialist, Gerontology & Health
Family & Community Health
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service
Kacy Mixon, Ph.D., LMFT
Assistant Professor & MFLN Family Development Project Director
College of Education and Human Services
Valdosta State University
Continuing Education (CE) Credit
- Social Work, LPC, LMFT: Programming approval for 1.0 CE credits will be obtained for Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage & Family Therapists from the University of Texas at Austin, Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Check with your state licensing agency for reciprocity and/or credit approval if licensed for other professions or in one of the following states: CO, FL, HI, IA, KS, KY, MI, NY, ND, OH, OK
- Case Manager: This program has been submitted to the Commission for Case Manager Certification for approval to provide board certified case managers with 1.0 clock hours.
- Certificates of completion are available for providers interested in documenting their training activities.
- For a complete list of our Military Caregiving courses for CE credit go to: Military Families