- This event has passed.
Talking with Military Kids About Money
Thursday Feb 23, 2012 at 2:30 pm-4:00 pm EST
CEU approval for MFLN Personal Finance webinars expires 3 years after the live event. CEUs are no longer available for this webinar. For more information and to earn CEUs from more current webinars click here.
Anita McKinney and Dr. Kate Fogarty will present this 90-minute session on teaching children financial skills.
This presentation will help PFMs working with military parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles understand developmentally appropriate ways to create daily conversations about money with their child by:
- Modeling good financial habits and attitudes.
- Providing opportunities to help children practice financial skills.
Anita McKinney is a faculty member with the University of Florida IFAS. She teaches basic financial literacy topics for clients of social service agencies, conducts worksite educational programs, trains social service employees to work with clients on money issues and organizes mentors and volunteers for a Master Money Mentors program.
Dr. Kate Fogarty works with Florida Extension / 4-H and has a teaching appointment at the University of Florida’s Department of Family, Youth, and Community Sciences. Her experience includes program implementation and evaluation of youth leadership and character education programs.
Books for children mentioned during the presentation:
- Alexander, Who Used To Be Rich Last Sunday by Judith Viorst
- A Bargain For Frances by Russel Hoban
- A Chair For My Mother by Vera Williams
- Just Shopping With Mom by Mercer Mayer
- My First Job by Julia Allen
- Ox-Cart Man by Donald Hall
- Sheep in a Shop by Nancy Shaw
- Something Good by Robert Munsch
- The Berenstain Bears & Mama’s New Job by Stan & Jan Berenstain
- The Berenstain Bears’ Trouble With Money by Stan & Jan Berenstain
- The Purse by Kathy Caple
- Tight Times by Barbara Shook Hazen