- This event has passed.
Going to College: A Guide to Transition Planning for Those with Disabilities
Wed September 9, 2015: 11:00 am-12:00 pm EDT
In the 21st century, receiving appropriate postsecondary education is key to successful employment and decent quality of life. This webinar provides an overview of the transition from school and from combat to postsecondary education, discusses challenges and opportunities for students with disabilities and wounded warriors, and presents strategies for preparing the transition to postsecondary education and for succeeding in postsecondary education. Some of the strategies include person-centered goal setting, understanding the demand of college, use of self-advocacy skills, and securing reasonable accommodations.
- Importance of postsecondary education
- Challenges and opportunities for individuals with disabilities and for wounded warriors
- Setting appropriate postsecondary education goals
- Understanding the demands of college
- The importance of self-advocacy
- Reasonable accommodations and disability services
- Strategies for students with hidden disabilities
- Strategies for wounded warriors
D. Dalun Zhang, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Educational Psychology
Director, Center on Disability and Development
Texas A&M University
Continuing Education (CE) Credit or Certificate of Completion
- For a complete list of our Military Caregiving courses for CE credit go to Extension Online
- Click here for Extension Online Course Instructions.
How to Join
To connect to this webinar, it is strongly suggested that you use Google Chrome for both PC and Mac connections. If this is not an option, Internet Explorer may be used if connecting via PC. Safari and Firefox have not been successful in accessing this webinar platform.
- Minimum Adobe Flash Player version 11.2
- Minimum Java version 8.49
- If you do not have a CAC, login as a guest.
- For CAC holders only: select your email security certificate, proceed through the DoD warning and join the conference. This allows you to enter as an authenticated user.
- Allow Adobe Flash Player to access your computer.
- If you become stuck at the “connecting to the server” page, refresh your page.
- For further tips and suggestions, please see our troubleshooting page.
For those who cannot connect to the DCS site, an alternative viewing of this webinar will be running on Ustream.