- This event has passed.
Relating! Caring and Culture
Wed November 4, 2015: 11:00 am-12:30 pm EST
Centered around a theme of reenergizing and rejuvenating the work environment, this FREE web-based learning opportunity is open to the public and will be similar to a professional conference – no travel involved! Part 2 of the Virtual Learning Event Session will focus on professional development in the area of ‘Cultural Competencies.’
Cultural competence and linguistic competence are widely recognized as fundamental aspects of quality in health/behavioral health care and in the provision of social services and supports. Cultural and linguistic competence is viewed as an essential approach for reducing disparities and for promoting equity by improving access, utilization, service delivery, and health and well-being among patients, their families, and communities. While the evidence suggests the efficacy of these approaches, many in health/behavioral health care and social service organizations continue to struggle with the full integration of cultural and linguistic competence into their policies, structures, practices, and procedures. This VLE session will explore the conceptual frameworks of cultural and linguistic competence and examine their relevance for supporting service members and their families.
- Define culture and its multiple manifestations.
- Describe culturally defined belief systems that impact health, behavioral health, and disability.
- List four rationales for cultural competence in health and human services.
- Describe a conceptual framework for a cultural competence model and its relevance for their roles/responsibilities.
- Define linguistic competence with an emphasis on the role of health literacy in the provision of care, services, and supports.
For more information about this three-part online learning event, see our MFLNMC Virtual Learning Event.
Tawara D. Goode, MA
Director, Georgetown University National Center for Cultural Competence
Georgetown University Medical Center
Continuing Education (CE) Credit or Certificate of Completion
- For a complete list of our Military Caregiving courses for CE credit go to Extension Online
- Click here for Extension Online Course Instructions.