- This event has passed.
VLE Session 1: Communicating Family Needs Through Advocacy
Thursday Sep 1, 2016 at 11:00 am-12:30 pm EDT
CEU’s for this event are no longer available. However, we appreciate your feedback via the EVALUATION.
It’s hard enough for parents to navigate this oftentimes scary and confusing world, but parents who have children with disabilities often find themselves intimidated and lost. In this 1.5 hour webinar, participants will learn about the world of advocacy and the ways in which it is possible to find and receive the services necessary for their children to thrive. This webinar will include types, effective strategies, case studies, examples, and motivating and insightful conversation pertaining to advocacy. It is our hope that participants will leave this webinar feeling prepared and ready to face the challenges that they encounter head-on and to teach others how to do the same.
Meghan Burke, Ph.D., is an assistant professor of special education at the University of Illinois. Her research interests include parent advocacy, families (i.e., parents and siblings) of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities, and disability policies.
Bari Sobelson, MS, LMFT is the Social Media and Webinar Coordination Specialist for the Family Development Team of the Military Families Learning Network.
CEU and Certificate of Completion
We invite you to participate in our upcoming virtual learning event sessions. MFLN Family Development offers various continuing education opportunities for each live session (for up to one year after the live date). The types of CEU’s offered are National Association of Social Workers (NASW), Georgia Marriage & Family Therapy and Early Intervention Training Program (EITP).
- For more information on how to obtain NASW and Georgia Marriage and Family Therapy CE credits, click here. Have questions? Contact us at MFLNFamilyDevelopment@gmail.com.
- For more information on how to obtain Early Intervention Training Program (EITP) CE credits, click here. Have questions? Contact us at MFLNFDEarlyIntervention@gmail.com.
How to Join
You may connect via the APAN Connect system or Ustream. For tech support for either system, email us at email@example.com.
- APAN Connect (direct interaction with presenters and audience)
- To get the URL for the webinar, register in the grey box at the top-right of this page.
- You will need speakers/headphones for webinar audio. There is no call-in number.
- Go mobile by viewing on the Adobe Connect app (Android & iPhone compatible)
- If you cannot access APAN Connect, view via MFLN’s YouTube Live
- YouTube Live (broadcast only, limited interaction)
- Watch the recording
- Go mobile by viewing on the YouTube app
This presentation is not endorsed by the Department of Defense and the information, as well as any opinions or views, contained herein are solely that of the presenter.