- This event has passed.
Mental Health Care in TRICARE: Recent Enhancements to a Great Benefit
June 13, 2018 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm EDTFree
About this event
This webinar will review TRICARE mental health care benefits, including what is covered, requirements for referrals, recent improvements, substance abuse treatment, telemental health, and the Autism Care Demonstration.
After participating , attendees will be able to:
- Explain how to access mental health care using the TRICARE benefit
- Describe recent enhancements to the TRICARE mental health benefit
- Explain when telemental health is appropriate, and how it is covered under TRICARE
- Describe the autism care demonstration and coming changes to the program
Captain Edward Simmer currently serves as the Chief Clinical Officer for the TRICARE Health Plan at the Defense Health Agency in Falls Church, VA. In this role he is responsible for overseeing all clinical aspects of the civilian medical and dental care provided to the 9.4 million beneficiaries of the Military Health System. He has a M.D. degree from Saint Louis University and completed his Psychiatry Residency at Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth. He is Board Certified in General and Forensic Psychiatry.
Captain Simmer has served 27 years of active duty in the Navy, with duties including Commanding Officer of Naval Hospital Oak Harbor, Executive Officer Naval Hospital Beaufort, Senior Executive Director of Psychological Health at the Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and TBI, and Director for Quality at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth. He served as the General Medical Officer on the U.S.S. Enterprise (CVN-65), and Division Psychiatrist for 2d Marine Division. He has also deployed to Iraq with the 113th Combat Stress Control Company and served as Head of the Navy’s Special Psychiatric Rapid Intervention Team (SPRINT) for nine years, leading responses to numerous traumatic incidents, including Hurricanes Ivan and Katrina and the U.S.S. Cole (DDG-67) bombing.
Continuing Education (CE) Credit or Certificate of Completion
- will apply for 1.0 CE credit from the UT School of Social Work. A certificate of completion will also be available.
- For more information on CE credit go to: Continuing Education Instructions
- For a complete list of our Military Caregiving courses for CE credit go to: Extension Online
- Click here for Extension Online Course Instructions.
*The cover image is licensed from iStockphoto.com by Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service and the Military Families Learning Network (MFLN), under Member ID: 8085767.