- This event has passed.
A Holistic Approach to Supporting Military Families with Special Needs
Wed February 13, 2019: 11:00 am-12:00 pm ESTFree
About this Webinar:
The Department of Defense’s Office of Special Needs provides policy and focused support for military families with special medical and/or educational needs. Many supportive programs offer resources and tools that military families need to be successful no matter where they live or serve. Presenters in this webinar explore how the Exceptional Family Member Program at the local level and Military OneSource’s 24/7 call center, collectively, support military families using a holistic approach.
After attending this webinar helping professionals will…
- Understand the key components of the Exceptional Family Member Program
- Discover the Department’s efforts to enhance the EFMP
- Be able to access Military OneSource resources for military families with special needs
Karen Terry is a policy analyst in the Office of Special Needs, Office of Family Readiness Policy, Military Community and Family Policy, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (OUSD) for Personnel and Readiness. Before joining OUSD, Ms. Terry was a Family Support Specialist for a Virginia county public school district, where she worked with elementary age students, their families and educators to enhance the student’s ability to focus and learn. She was responsible for providing information on appropriate community and school resources as well as assisting with questions and concerns related to special education and developing behavioral interventions. Prior to that, Ms. Terry was part of the Headquarters Air Force Airman and Family Services team where she was the Program Manager for Personal Financial Readiness, and assisted with programs such as Relocation, School Liaisons, and the Exceptional Family Member Program.
Erika R. Slaton
Erika R. Slaton serves as program deputy for the Military Community Support Programs directorate within the Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Military Community and Family Policy. She leads the Administration and Communications team for the Military OneSource and Military and Family Life Counseling programs where she is responsible for execution and oversight of program communications and outreach activities.
Certificate of Completion
Click the button below for a certificate of completion.
You will be prompted to complete an evaluation after which a link will be provided.
- Social Work, LPC, LMFT: Programming approval for 1.0 CE credit will be obtained for Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage & Family Therapists from the University of Texas at Austin, Steve Hicks School of Social Work. Check with your state licensing agency for reciprocity and/or credit approval if licensed for other professions or in one of the following states: CO, FL, HI, IA, KS, KY, MI, NY, ND, OH, OK. **Note: Eligibility for CE credit expires on February 13, 2021.
- Case Manager: This program has been submitted to the Commission for Case Manager Certification for approval to provide board certified case managers with 1.0 clock hour. **Note: Eligibility for CE credit expires on February 13, 2020.
- Certificates of completion are available for providers interested in documenting their training activities.