Talking with Youth about Sex, Sexuality, and Media
Thu August 5th: 11:00 am-12:30 pm EDTFree
About This Webinar:
Participants will learn how to help and prepare children and youth to practice better decision-making in regards to their bodies and the bodies of others. We also discuss best practices for having substantial conversations on understanding pornography, sex, and sexuality. This presentation is for professionals working with children and their families, caregivers, and family members. Youth and young adults are also invited to attend.
By the end of this webinar presentation, attendees will be able to:
- Discuss strategies for speaking to children about sex, sexuality, pornography, and interaction with their peers.
- Recognize how to have sensitive but needed conversations with children on important topics.
- Discuss the importance and difference between parents-caregivers and other caring adults and the impact of different roles adults play in a young person’s life and how each role can have a positive impact on the development of young people in regards to their development and identity.
- Review the impact of social media and its relationship with pornography and social media’s role in modern youth life.
- Recognize how to better prepare children and caregivers to make better choices and have more successful interventions when faced with difficult situations related to sex, sexuality, pornography, and youth-produced images.
Clifford Sipes is currently a youth specialist at the Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services and also works with The National Center on the Sexual Behavior of Youth.
He specializes in getting youth and young adults involved in training the professionals that serve them and creating youth advisories. He is Cheyenne with family ties in both Oklahoma and Montana.
Continuing Education (CE) Credit
MFLN Family Development will apply for the following Continuing Education (CE) credits:
- Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists: Programming approval for CE credits will be obtained for Social Work, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist from the UT Austin Steve Hicks School of Social Work.
- Certified Family Life Educators (CFLEs): This webinar will offer Contact Hours from the National Council on Family Relations to CFLE’s.
- Case Managers: This program will be submitted to the Commission for Case Manager Certification for approval to provide board-certified case managers with clock hours.
- Certificates of completion will also be available for providers interested in documenting their training activities.
Please revisit this page after the live webinar for updated information on the above CE credits. For questions about continuing education opportunities, email MFLN FD at email@example.com.
- Webinar Flyer | PDF
- Coming soon!
This webinar is part of the Sexual Behavior in Children & Youth (SBCY) Series hosted by MFLN Family Development. For more information on other trainings on this topic, visit the series homepage!