Hey there Anchored podcast listeners! 2019 has been a great year for our Anchored podcast series. For those of you who don’t know, Anchored is a professional development podcast series brought to you by MFLN Family Development. In this series, we wanted to provide a space to not only learn about timely topics faced by military families, but to also explore accessible resources and organizations that support military service members and their families.
In this week’s blog, we wanted to share a brief recap of the episodes from this past year. We’ve covered some really unique and varied topics that tie in with several of our webinar series that we’ve hosted over the past year. Shared below are brief snapshots of each episode of 2019, along with the links to the respective recordings. So, with that in mind, sit back, relax, and get Anchored with us!
- Episode 17| A Discussion with Dr. Gregory Leskin about Problematic Sexualized Behaviors in Children & Youth
- This episode actually kicked off the Sexual Behavior in Children & Youth Series, which has been ongoing throughout 2019 and will continue into 2020. In this episode, we discuss normative versus problematic sexual behaviors in children and youth. Dr. Gregory Leskin provides an in depth conversation on challenges that arise with inappropriate sexual behaviors and explores resources for families and providers to promote healthy sexuality as children develop into adulthood. This great episode gives a lot of insight into what “normal” sexual behavior for children and youth looks like, and what is problematic. Utilizing resources provided by the National Child Traumatic Stress Network, Dr. Leskin lays the groundwork for what we needed to know going into our SBCY Series.
- Episode 18| An Overview of the Thrive Initiative
- Highlighting the goals of the Thrive Initiative, this episode focuses on their mission designed to empower parents as they raise and nurture their children. The Thrive Initiative is a series of parenting programs for parents and breaks down their programming by child age groups. Take Root is for ages 0-3, Sprout is for ages 3-5, and Grow is for ages 5-10. These three programs are available at no cost for parents. Finally, their Branch Out program will soon be available and is for ages 10-18. This episode was also the start of our Thrive Series, which included webinars that give overviews of the Take Root, Sprout, and Grow parenting programs. A webinar going over Branch Out will take place later in 2020.
- Episode 19| Supporting Military Spouses with Employment and Higher Education Transitions
- This episode focuses primarily on resources for military spouses when it comes to military spouse employment, higher education goals, and navigating their lives and family life through transitions such as PCSs (Permanent Change of Stations) and deployment. To give us some insight, Christine C.C. Gallagher, who was a panelist during the first session of our 2019 MFLN Virtual Conference, shares her experience as a military spouse and mother of two. Also, Molly Herndon, Programming Coordinator for MFLN Personal Finance offers details about webinars that they have hosted in 2019 that focus on military spouse employment and higher education, including info on the Forever GI Bill.
We hope you enjoy these podcast episodes and topics and we look forward to having more Anchored podcast episodes for you in 2020!