In partnership with the Department of Defense’s Office of Military Community and Family Policy, Penn State University’s Clearinghouse for Military Family Readiness is implementing a new initiative called THRIVE to empower parents as they nurture their children across developing stages. On August 16, 2018, Dr. Jennifer DiNallo, Director of Research for the Clearinghouse for Military Family Readiness, provided a webinar presentation on the GROW program within THRIVE which is designed for parents of children 5 to 10 years old.
The following are some insights gathered from Dr. DiNallo’s captivating and informative webinar:
- Dr. Dinallo provided an overview of the Clearinghouse for Military Family Readiness at Penn State, in which they provide programs for various topics including: parenting, obesity prevention, violence prevention, and anxiety/depression.
- She discussed the history and the development of the THRIVE Initiative as well as the research that has informed the work that they are doing.
- The three domains that the THRIVE Initiative focuses on are: positive parenting practices, parent & child stress management, and strategies for promoting child physical health.
- The four programs that currently comprise THRIVE focuses on different child developmental stages. Take Root (ages 0-3), Sprout (ages 3-5), Grow (ages 5-10), and Branch Out (ages 10-14 and 14-18).
- The THRIVE programs aim to incorporate a strength-based approach by focusing on what families are already doing well to increase family readiness.
- She introduced the Grow! Program and the application of both their face-to-face and online parenting programs.
- Dr. Dinallo shared information on facilitator training for the face-to-face application of the Grow! program. Any professional can utilize this training and the resources when working with parents and families in their own practices.
To get an overview of this archived webinar, check out the event page here. And that’s not all… if you are a Licensed Social Worker, Family Therapist, or Professional Counselor, you can obtain 1.5 CEUs for this webinar until August 16, 2019. Just watch the webinar and follow the instructions listed on this page!
Do you like podcasts? If so, we’ve got an episode with Dr. DiNallo talking about the THRIVE Initiative- CEUs are also available for this until April 25, 2019!