The MFLN Nutrition and Wellness concentration got off to a good start in 2015 presenting a variety of informative webinars for military care providers, specifically military Dietitians, Veterans Administration and Extension specialists. A new year, 2016 is here, and we have another very exciting lineup of webinars and CEPU opportunities for Registered Dietitians.
- January 26, 2016, 11:00 am ET Cooking Up Nutrition Education Cooking up Nutrition Education presented by Veteran’s Administration Dietitian Lori Carlson, MS, RDN, LDN, and Chef. Everyone loves cooking shows, and you will learn how to present your own cooking class while providing evidence-based nutrition education.
- February 25, 2016, 11:30 am ET: Trans Fat Update The Skinny on Trans Fats presented by Presented by Kristie Crowe-White, Ph.D., RD. What is the big deal about trans fats, what is the status of legislation, and what are the differences between naturally occurring and man-made trans fats.
- March 29, 2016 11:00 ET: Work Life Integration: What Does Success Look Like? March is National Nutrition Month! Balancing Work/Life for Military Dietitians presented by Lisa Kinderman, Clinical Counselor. In honor of Registered Dietitians we are presenting a webinar on work/life stress management. We know how stressful your jobs can be, and you need to be well balanced and nourished to be your best.
- April 26, 2016 11:00 ET: Breastfeeding – Nature’s Best presented by Rose Marie Straeter, MA, RLC, IBCLC. One conversation with Rose and you will find out how much you did not know about breastfeeding practices, challenges and how to best help your clients.
- May 24, 2016, at 11:00 ET: Nutritional Trends and Implications for Weight Loss Surgery presented by Ashley McCartney, MS, RD, LDN, Bariatric Dietitian for Carle Hospital in Champaign, IL. Bariatric surgery is becoming a more viable option for the morbidly obese, learn the special nutritional needs of this population.
- June/July – no webinars, but stay tuned on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn for continuing nutrition and wellness education.
- Future webinars in the fall include topics of Nutrition Apps and the Snap program.
You can still earn CPEUs for the 2015 webinars by visiting the links below, watching the video and taking the evaluation.
- Eating Well While Eating Out: How Calories on the Menu Can Help Guide Healthy Choices
- 5-2-1-0 Healthy Messaging Campaign
- New Medications for Type 2 Diabetes
- Hypertension Update: Nutritional Guidelines and Strategies
Nutrition and Wellness is always looking for suggestions on what topics are of interest to you? Please contact us with your suggestions or if you have a webinar you want to present.
So mark your calendars and cheers to 2016.
This post was written by Robin Allen, a member of the Military Families Learning Network (MFLN) Nutrition and Wellness team that aims to support the development of professionals working with military families. Find out more about the MFLN Nutrition and Wellness concentration on our website, on Facebook, on Twitter, and LinkedIn.